Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What color Play-doh would I be?






Today was one of those 'mold me and make me' days! I felt like God was really working on me like a big 'ole wad of play-doh. I won't go into details, but let's just say tonight I feel like that long string of play-doh that's been mushed through a tiny little hole... stretched out way beyond that comfortable ball form!

Some days its easier for me to feel the Master working and go, 'Okay God, I hear ya. Thanks for working with me.' and other days, like today, I want to scream, 'ENOUGH! I got the point! I'm flawed. I need more molding. But work on someone else for a change!' I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that doesn't always understand how and when God chooses to mold. I hope its because I'm eventually going to be some cool retro ashtray or circus animal on God's knickknack shelf...

And speaking of molding, Dustin has some seriously screwed up homework for the 3rd grade! This stuff is so far out that most nights there are questions I can't help him with. Usually it's math, but tonight it was a reading question. His story was about a family that goes camping and the kids want to climb this big waterfall and the dad won't let them. But the next day when they go back to the waterfall, the Dad lets them climb it. The question Dustin had to answer was, "Why do you think the dad changed his mind and let the kids climb the waterfall?" Good grief! What kind of question is that?! I mean, why do we as parents do a lot of things?!? Why does any parent change their mind about things?! Who the heck really knows why the Dad changed his mind about the dang waterfall?!! Maybe he decided to quit being a stick in the mud! Maybe he decided it wasn't worth arguing about! Maybe he popped a few happy pills at breakfast and the waterfall didn't stress him out anymore. Maybe he just didn't want to have to climb up after them that first day because he was tired as hell from packing the camping gear, driving 400 miles, unloading the truck, and well, you get the picture! I mean COME ON curriculum folks! Get real! I'm 37 and a parent twice over and I can't answer that question. How the heck is my 9 year old suppose to figure it out? We answered it by saying, 'he felt more comfortable about it the second day.' It's probably the wrong answer, but I don't plan to lose any sleep over it.

Doh!!! There's that attitude again! Oh well... time for some more molding! Tonight's perfume of choice - O'de'Playdoh. Ahhh...smells just heavenly...

No comments: